Duties and objectives
The Prime Minister's Office, a ministry led by the Prime Minister in person, is responsible for monitoring the implementation of the Government’s political programme. The Prime Minister’s Office also assists the Prime Minister in the general management of Government functions.
Duties include the coordination of Finland's EU policy and the State's ownership policy, as well as the steering of state-owned companies under the Prime Minister's Office.
The Prime Minister’s Office enables the Prime Minister and Government to act effectively, regardless of the circumstances.
The mandate of the Prime Minister’s Office covers:
- assisting the Prime Minister in the general management of the Government and in duties to coordinate Government work with that of Parliament;
- coordinating the preparation and consideration of matters decided by the European Union and horizontal and institutional matters of key importance to the development of the European Union;
- providing Government communications services and coordinating communications activities within the state administration;
- organisation of the government and the general conditions for the proper functioning of its activities;
- general ownership policy regarding state majority-owned companies and state associated companies;
- coordinating the objectives of the state’s sectoral research in support of decision-making;
- government situation awareness, preparedness and security services together with coordination relating to management of incidents and emergencies;
- steering, development and coordination of joint operational and financial planning, procurement, financial and human resources management, human resources development and travel administration of the government and its ministries;
- joint information management (including ICT services of the diplomatic missions of the Foreign Service), archiving and document management together with related steering, development and coordination of systems compatibility and good information management practises of the government and its ministries;
- development and coordination of the joint web service and internal web communications of the government and its ministries;
- premises of the government and its ministries; and
- joint internal services of the government and its ministries.