Events marking the 100th anniversary of Åland’s autonomy
The jubilee year began on 9 June 2021
The official centennial celebrations began on Åland's Autonomy Day on 9 June 2021. The programme included an event at the statue of Julius Sundblom, a central actor in building the Åland self-government after the decision of the League of Nations, and an evening concert to mark the beginning of the anniversary year.
The Ministry of the Interior recommends flying the flag on Åland’s Autonomy day even on Mainland Finland. The flag will be flying to celebrate the centennial jubilee on 9 June in 2021 and 2022.
Hundred years since League of Nations decision
On 24 June 2021, it was 100 years since the League of Nations granted Åland an autonomous status.
Finland and Sweden ratified the decision, according to which Åland would belong to Finland and be granted an autonomous status on 27 June 1921.
The Prime Minister's Office and the National Archives of Finland organised an event — “100 Years Since the League of Nations Decision” — which included Allan Rosas' keynote speech and a panel discussion with historians and self-government experts on the background and significance of the League of Nations decision, from both historical and present day perspectives.
Cities in Mainland Finland invited to join the anniversary year — July seminar in Hamina
A seminar was held in Hamina to mark the beginning of Åland’s anniversary year celebrations in Finnish coastal towns. A summer seminar — “Åland 100 in Hamina / Åland 100 i Fredrikshamn” — took place at Hamina Bastion on 7 July. Watch the live stream of the event on 7 July. The new Oolannin puisto (Åland Park) was opened at this event and a gigantic Åland flag was flown in a 100 metre high flagpole.
History, self-government, democracy, and the importance of demilitarisation — inter-disciplinary seminars
Autumn 2021 and spring 2022 will see numerous celebratory seminars being held on the theme of the anniversary of Åland. The seminars are being organised by both public and private bodies:
- The Hanaholmen Cultural Centre organised a seminar on autonomous regions on 25 August 2021. You can watch the seminar on Hanaholmens website.
The youth event ReGeneration Week on sustainability was organized in Mariehamn and online August 28-31. The target group was young people around the Baltic Sea and among others the EU Commissioner on the Environment Virginijus Sinkevičius participated. The recordings can be found on YLE Areena.
- One of the main seminars of the anniversary year will be held in Mariehamn on 20 October 2021. The event is being organised by the Parliament of Åland in cooperation with the Ministry for Foreign Affairs. The event will be live-streamed.
- In November, a seminar to be held in Parliament will discuss aspects of the Act on the Autonomy Åland.
- In April 2022, the Government will host an anniversary seminar — “100 Years of Åland’s Autonomy” — in Helsinki.
Several international seminars will also be held throughout the anniversary year:
- On 8 December 2022, the closing conference of the research project on Nordic self-governing regions will be held in Copenhagen / the Nordic Council, the Finnish Institute of International Affairs, and the Government of Åland.
- On 7 February 2022, the international closing seminar for the anniversary of Åland’s autonomy will be held in The Hague / the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, and the Government of Åland
The Åland Week in schools — March 2022
All schools in Finland will celebrate the Åland Week from 21 to 25 March 2022. The National Archives of Finland, Hanaholmen's Svenska Nu project, the Finnish national agency of Education, the National Museum, Visit Åland and Pohjola-Norden will produce materials and programmes on a variety of Åland themes for teachers, ranging from history and cuisine to economics and culture. The Prime Minister's Office will be cooperating with the organisations involved.
Culmination of the anniversary year — June 2022
The anniversary year will culminate in June 2022. Plenty of events will be taking place in Åland itself, as well as in Mainland Finland and all over the world.
In June, everyone will be invited to clean up beaches and other natural environments to celebrate Åland’s anniversary. Waterways and seas are something we all share and cherish. These efforts will be our gift to everyone in Åland and beyond, both for today and for the future, and will help promote the themes highlighted by Åland’s anniversary.
For one week, from 6 to 12 June 2022, you are invited to take part in a cleaning campaign built around the UN World Water Day on 8 June and Åland’s Autonomy Day on 9 June. Share your participation and congratulate Åland on social media using #Åland100. Everyone is invited to get involved — organisations, associations, businesses, individuals, and even groups of friends or colleagues.
Information on the programme for the Åland anniversary year
Links to further information, materials and previous events
- Finnish Institute in Stockholm webinar series on Åland:
- Hanaholmen event for university students "Det unikaöriket Åland"
- The Åland Islands Solution digital exhibition
- National Archives of Finland website about Åland
- Svenska litteratursällskapet Åland – photo album in Finna
This summary of events and the events themselves are subject to change.
More detailed information about the events and celebrations as well as links and recordings will be added to this page.